Afghanistan War is in serious state: NATO

Two more British soldiers were killed yesterday and the commander of the Nato forces in Afghanistan warned President Obama that the eight-year war was in a “serious” state and that big changes were needed if victory was to be achieved.
General Stanley McChrystal is understood to have recommended in a strategic review that counter-insurgency efforts be focused on protecting civilians rather than fighting militants.
August was one of Nato’s bloodiest months in Afghanistan, with 74 soldiers killed. More than 300 have died so far this year, making 2009 the worst year for Western forces since the Taleban were overthrown.
The latest British casualties — killed by a bomb while on foot patrol in Helmand — were from 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. They bring to 19 the number of British troops killed in August.
Gordon Brown had announced over the weekend that he would be sending another 200 roadside-bomb specialists to Afghanistan which may minimize British casualties.
David Kilcullen, one of the architects of Nato’s anti-insurgency campaign, said that the failure of the Afghan Government to provide basic services in many areas was allowing the Taleban to establish its own courts, hospitals and security. “A government that is losing to a counter-insurgency isn’t being outfought, it is being outgoverned,” he said.
Deadliest August ends for NATO

Deadliest August ends for NATO

Two more British soldiers were killed yesterday and the commander of the Nato forces in Afghanistan warned President Obama that the eight-year war was in a “serious” state and that big changes were needed if victory was to be achieved.

August was one of Nato’s bloodiest months in Afghanistan, with 74 soldiers killed. More than 300 have died so far this year, making 2009 the worst year for Western forces since the Taleban were overthrown.

Continue reading

Advertisements

US commanders say Afghanistan force insufficient

US needs more soldiers in Afghanistan

US needs more soldiers in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON: US military commanders in Afghanistan told President Barack Obama’s chief envoy to the region hat they did not have enough troops to do their job.

Continue reading

Deadly August for NATO and US Troops as 3 more die

killed US soldiers

killed US soldiers

KABUL: Three Nato troops – two from Estonia and one from the United States  have been killed in attacks in southern Afghanistan, the latest casualties in a particularly bloody summer, authorities say.

Continue reading

US needs more Troops, Taliban happy for more prey

US Forces in Afghanistan

US Forces in Afghanistan

KABUL  – NATO’s new chief called Friday for additional reinforcements in Afghanistan, and the alliance announced the deaths of eight more U.S. and British troops as violence worsens in the eight-year-old war’s deadliest phase.

Continue reading

Artillery Arrives in Afghanistan To Aid French

Caesar 155mm 52-caliber gun

Caesar 155mm 52-caliber gun

Paris – A first batch of three Caesar 155mm cannons arrived at Kabul airport Aug. 1, marking a first operational deployment of the truck-mounted artillery, according to the Web site of the French chief of the Defense Staff.

“These artillery pieces are intended to deliver fire support from forward operating bases during operations undertaken by the joint tactical battalion at Kapisa and the French battalion at Surobi,” the Web site posting said. Continue reading

Afghanistn agrees to talk with Talibans

The Afghan talibangovernment has agreed a truce with Taliban insurgents in the north-western province of Badghis ahead of elections next month, officials say.

The Taliban have pledged not to attack voting centres and to hand key areas to government forces, officials say. There has been no word from the militants. Continue reading